Oklahoma City Law Firm Of Brown & Gould

I don’t agree with the judge’s decision on how to split up our property, what can I do?


I don't agree with the judge's decision on how to split up our property, what can I do?

In the comedy, Tyler Perry’s Diary of a Mad Black Woman, a very angry Medea decides to “split up the marital property” for her niece. Medea’s method was taking a chain saw and “splitting” everything down the middle: the coach, the piano, the bed, the coffee table and more. As gratifying to an angry ex as this option may be, in the event that you are splitting property, 50/50 is not always the best option. Not to mention, having someone else decide what is fair can be frustrating.

A Judge’s Decision

When property is split up, in the event of a divorce, a judge looks at many factors before deciding on who gets what and how much. These factors are all considered though there is not a specific way to decide on a fair settlement; each spouse’s income, occupation, amount of income, needs, estate, health, and more are considered.

What Can You Do?

  • You can petition the court for a rehearing of the case. This must be done in a timely manner and does not guarantee being seen, or even achieving a different ruling.
  • Appeal to a higher court in the event that your petition is shot down. Typically, you need to have real reasons, such as a legal discrepancy or error, besides the dislike of the actual decision, but there may be enough to secure being seen again by the court or a higher court.
  • Contact an attorney to advise you on your case. Sometimes property is divided for another reason than a divorce. No matter the reason, it is important to be advised by a legal expert who will see the entire situation, and how to benefit and advocate for your case in the best possible way for you.

Contact Us Today

At Brown & Gould, PLLC, our Oklahoma City Family Law Attorneys care about your divorce and property needs. We assist you in getting the legal care that you need for all of your divorce and legal concerns. For legal advice, and compassionate and professional care, contact us at (405) 235-4500.



Contact Us Today

Areas We Serve

Brown & Gould, PLLC,
136 NW 10th Street
Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73103
Phone: 405-235-4500
Fax: 405-235-4507    
The Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, law office of Brown & Gould, PLLC, serves the nearby cities of Moore, Norman, Edmond, Nichols Hills, Midwest City, Del City, Yukon, Mustang, El Reno, Shawnee, Tulsa and other areas, including Oklahoma County, Cleveland County, Canadian County, McClain County, Pottawatomie County, Tulsa County, Logan County and throughout the state of Texas in the cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso and Austin.