Oklahoma City Law Firm Of Brown & Gould

I think my ex-husband is abusing our children; can I appeal our custody agreement to include supervised visitations?


I think my ex-husband is abusing our children; can I appeal our custody agreement to include supervised visitations?

The thought of any child enduring abuse is appalling. The thought of your own child being abused is beyond comprehension for most parents. When it’s happening under your own roof or with a neighbor or friend, dealing with it is as simple as reporting the abuser to authorities and cutting that person out of your life or relocating immediately. Filing protective orders provides added protection. But what if the abuser is your ex-spouse who has legal permission to spend time with your children without your supervision? What do you do, then?

If You Suspect Child Abuse

Anyone who suspects child abuse of any kind has a moral and legal obligation to report it immediately. In the state of Oklahoma, suspected child abuse or neglect should be reported to the Department of Human Services Child Protective Services. Reports can be made at any time to the OKDHS Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 1-800-522-3511. The hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If a Parent is the Abuser

If you find out your ex-spouse is abusing your children, or suspect it, your first obligation is to ensure the children are safe. The quickest way to do this is to file for a Protective Order. You will be requesting in writing that all physical and verbal contact between the children and their abuser be ceased immediately. You will have to go before a judge to explain your situation in order for the order to be put in place. The suspected abuser’s custody will immediately be put on hold until the situation can be sorted out. Then, the case will be investigated and if there is no proof of danger to you or the children, then the protective order will be lifted. If abuse is proven, it can remain in place.


Family Law Appeals in Oklahoma City

If your divorce has already been settled and you have already filed a custody agreement, it is not too late to change things to protect your children. You can file a motion to modify a divorce ruling or a child custody appeal in order to require supervised visitation for your children. If you’re interested in filing a motion to modify or appealing a recent ruling for a family law issue, contact us. Please call 405-235-4500 and we will help you schedule an appointment to discuss your needs.



Contact Us Today

Areas We Serve

Brown & Gould, PLLC,
136 NW 10th Street
Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73103
Phone: 405-235-4500
Fax: 405-235-4507    
The Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, law office of Brown & Gould, PLLC, serves the nearby cities of Moore, Norman, Edmond, Nichols Hills, Midwest City, Del City, Yukon, Mustang, El Reno, Shawnee, Tulsa and other areas, including Oklahoma County, Cleveland County, Canadian County, McClain County, Pottawatomie County, Tulsa County, Logan County and throughout the state of Texas in the cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso and Austin.