Oklahoma City Law Firm Of Brown & Gould

What to do when health insurance won’t cover my prescription anymore?


According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2007-2008, 1 out of every 5 children and 9 out of 10 older Americans reported using at least one prescription drug in the past month [i]. Prescription drugs are a necessity for the health and wellbeing of many individuals in America. Sometimes, a prescription can even mean life or death for individuals with severe medical conditions. Being denied a prescription because of your health insurance can have serious implications both to your finances if you must pay out of pocket and even more importantly, to your health.

What Can You Do?

  • Get an exemption- Speak to your doctor about requesting an exemption from your insurance company stating that this prescription would be the best option for you and other prescriptions might not work as well or have the same effects.
  • File a written appeal- If your exemption is not granted, a written appeal to the insurance company would be your next step. Being timely and meeting deadlines are very important, so do not wait if you desire to submit a letter of appeal.
  • Ask your doctor- It may be possible to get a different medication or a generic brand that is covered by your insurance with similar or the same benefits as the one prescribed to you. Discuss it with your doctor to see if this may be a good route.
  • Pay for the prescription- Though this is probably the last resort, paying for the medication out of pocket is still an option, and depending on your condition, may be in your best interest instead of forgoing it all together due to finances.

Contact Us Today

At Brown & Gould, PLLC, our Attorneys care about your wellbeing and will assist you in getting the legal care that you need for all your health concerns. For legal advice and compassionate and professional care, contact us at (405) 235-4500.

[i.] (2010, September 2). Retrieved March 1, 2015, from https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db42.htm



Contact Us Today

Areas We Serve

Brown & Gould, PLLC,
136 NW 10th Street
Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73103
Phone: 405-235-4500
Fax: 405-235-4507    
The Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, law office of Brown & Gould, PLLC, serves the nearby cities of Moore, Norman, Edmond, Nichols Hills, Midwest City, Del City, Yukon, Mustang, El Reno, Shawnee, Tulsa and other areas, including Oklahoma County, Cleveland County, Canadian County, McClain County, Pottawatomie County, Tulsa County, Logan County and throughout the state of Texas in the cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso and Austin.